Wednesday 6 April 2011

Video: We are here because . . .

'We are here because . . .'

. . .  is an inspiring and moving collection of online video and other testimonies, filmed, recorded, edited and produced by Black/women of colour, who are service users and volunteers with Black Women’s Rape Action Project in London. The testimonies are the product of an invaluable process whereby women from different backgrounds worked together, developed technical skills, and learnt from each other.

The majority are members of the All African Women’s Group a self-help group of women asylum seekers.  Most are mothers, some have been in detention, many have been separated from their children. All give deeply compelling and often painful accounts of what they have been, and still go through, to get protection and rebuild their lives.

Some of the videos follow.

Neisha: "I was in Yarl’s Wood for five months and I came out in December the 15th. I seek asylum 'cause I am a lesbian, and in my tribunal case, my partner came and she gave evidence and everything. I’ve given all my letters of support, all my evidence, and in my determination I was told that they didn’t believe that I was a lesbian, but the judge believed my partner . . ."



Maria describing life in Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Centre, UK and why she was detained 


Verna Joseph speaks about the women's hunger strike

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails