Thursday 13 March 2008

More American support for Mehdi


Illinois State Rep. Greg Harris, D-Chicago, wrote a letter March 12 to Gordon Brown.

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,

I am writing regarding the case of Mehdi Kazemi, a 19-year-old youth who may be deported back to Great Britain for consideration of a request for asylum. While I am not a British citizen, I feel compelled to write, and plead for your consideration of this young man's case, as his return to Iran means his almost certain execution simply for being gay.

I understand that your government has already denied his asylum request once. As an elected official myself, I understand that there are policy implications of every decision, but I am hopeful that the recent statement of the Border and Immigration Agency indicates a willingness to grant Mr. Kazemi's request and spare him from the same fate as his partner, who Iran has already been executed.

Each of us in elected office face decisions of public policy, but regardless of political and policy decisions, I hope you can see your way clear to protect this youth from torture and execution simply by allowing him to remain in your country and continuing with his studies.

I am very grateful for your time and consideration of this matter.

Very truly yours,

Gregory S. Harris
Representative, 13th District

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails