Saturday 14 November 2009

Sri Lankan gay man granted asylum in USA

Coat of arms of Sri Lanka.Image via Wikipedia
Source: Lanka Polity

Equal Ground, a non profit organization seeking human and political rights for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning (LGBTIQ) community of Sri Lanka, says that a Sri Lankan that sought asylum in US based on gender discrimination in his home country has been granted asylum there.

The person nicknamed as Sam has emailed to Equal Grounds “I am very happy to inform you, that I was granted my gay asylum in USA. As I know I am the 3rd person whom granted gay asylum in USA. Equal Ground and you personally helped me on this matter a lot. I am thanking Equal Ground and personally for you Rosanna, because you helped me in every way not only giving a declaration, personally advising me on my problems which happen to me because of my gay activities… “

Equal Ground says that the organization ' sincerely hopes that there will come a time when wonderful people such as Sam don’t have to flee this country because of the way they are treated here for being gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. We hope in time, the laws will change and people are more accepting.'

Homosexuality is a crime under Sri Lanka's law.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails