Projects to fund for: IRAQ: Emergency Shelter, Human Services and Protection For Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People: The Safe Houses Project
IRAQI LGBT started to establish a network of safe houses inside Iraq in March 2006.
As of today, we have only one safe house, we had to consider closing down three of them in the last couple of months, because we are unable to keep paying the rent and other expenses.
The members of our group inside Iraq urgently need funds to open at least five safe houses. These funds will allow us to keep the five safe houses running, and provide safety, shelter, food and many other needs for our LGBT friends inside Iraq. Any funds we receive that go beyond what we need for these five safe houses could be used to open more safe houses in the near future. We desperately need to add more because we have so many urgent cases in other cities. We receive requests for shelter every day, but we are not able to help yet.
Every safe house has around 200 square meters of living space, but harbours 10 to 12 people, so is very overcrowded. The residents are struggling badly because of the shortages of almost all the basic necessities in Iraq.
- Rent: We have paid three months rent in advance. The most recent payments were in April. The average rent per safe house per month is $ 600 US Dollar.
- Security: We paid the salaries of two guards per house, at $ 200 US Dollar per guard per month.
- Other expenses of each house: We have paid $ 600 a month for EACH HOUSE approximately for natural gas and kerosene for cooking, and for food, fuel for generators which provide the electricity supply.
Our priorities at this stage are: natural gas or kerosene for cooking and heating; fuel for generating electricity; food; mobile phones and calling cards; money for transportation to allow residents some freedom of movement; beds, mattresses, blankets, sheets and pillows; cameras; printers; two computers; house supplies, such as cooking pans, dishes, and flatware; some furniture; clean water for drinking and bathing; soap for washing and bathing, tooth paste, razors and of course housing, guards etc.
Amount needed and how it would be spent (per month):
- Natural gas or kerosene for cooking and heating - 50 GBP
- Fuel for generating electricity – $ 300
- Food - $ 600
- Mobile phones, calling cards, and internet charges - $ 450 etc.
- Transportation – $ 250
- Beds, mattresses, blankets, sheets and pillows – $ 1,300 – onetime payment
- Cameras – $ 100 – onetime payment
- Printers – $ 100 - onetime payment
- Two computers – $ 1,200 - onetime payment
- Kitchen supplies, such as cooking pans, dishes, and flatware – $ 400 – onetime payment
- Some furniture – $ 500– onetime payment
- Clean water for drinking and bathing; $ 250
- Toiletries (soap for washing and bathing, tooth paste, razors etc.) – $ 150
Thanks to everyone who has taken mercy on us for this cause to help people stay alive during this trying period.
Pleople can send payments through our paypal account email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or send cheques made payable to 'Iraqi Lgbt' and send to 22 Notting Hill Gate, Unit 111, London W11 3JE , United Kingdom.